If your key fob isn’t working, you may need to change the battery. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to do it. We’ll also share some tips on how to keep your key fob working well. Stay safe and happy driving!
What Type Of Battery Is Needed For The Key Fob?
The battery type needed for the key fob depends on the make and model of the vehicle. Most key fobs use either a CR2032 or a CR2025 battery. These are 3-volt lithium coin batteries that are relatively easy to find at most stores that sell batteries. To change the battery, start by locating the small screw on the back of the key fob.
Use a small Phillips head screwdriver to remove the screw. Once the screw is removed, the back of the key fob will come off, revealing the battery. Gently pry out the old car key battery and insert the new one, being careful to match the positive and negative sides. Once the new battery is in place, reassemble the key fob and test it out to make sure it’s working properly.
How To Remove The Old Battery From A Key Fob?
Key fobs are a great convenience, allowing us to unlock our car doors without having to dig for our keys. However, over time, the key fob battery can begin to weaken, resulting in a less responsive fob. When this happens, it’s time to replace the battery. But before you can do that, you’ll need to remove the old battery. Here’s a step-by-step guide to removing the battery from a key fob:
- Start by locating the battery cover. This is usually located on the back of the key fob.
- Use a small screwdriver or knife to pry open the battery cover. Be careful not to damage the cover as you do this.
- Once the cover is removed, you should see the battery inside. Gently remove the battery from its housing and dispose of it properly.
- Insert the new battery into the housing, making sure that the positive and negative terminals are aligned correctly.
- Close the battery cover and screw it back into place, if necessary.
- Test your key fob to make sure that it’s working properly. If not, repeat these steps until it does.
How To Install New Battery In A Key Fob? Step-by-step Guide
If your key fob has a dead battery, you’ll need to replace it. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Start by removing the old battery from the metal key fob. You can do this by gently prying open the back of the key fob with a small screwdriver or another tool.
- Once the back is pried open, you should see the old battery inside. Gently remove it and discard it properly.
- Take your new battery and insert it into the key fob, making sure that the positive (+) side is facing up.
- Close up the back of the key fob and test it out to make sure the new battery is working. You should now be able to use your key fob as normal!
Tips For Keeping Your Key Fob Working Well
Your key fob is an important part of your car, and it’s important to keep it in good working condition.
Here are some tips for keeping your key fob working well:
- Keep the key fob clean. Dirt and grime can build up on the buttons and interfere with the signal. Use a soft cloth to wipe down the key fob regularly.
- Avoid dropping the key fob. A hard jolt can damage the internal components.
- Don’t expose the key fob to extreme temperatures. Extreme heat or cold can damage the key fob.
- Keep the key fob away from the water. Water can damage the electronics in the key fob.
- If the key fob starts to act erratic, replace the battery. A dying battery can cause all sorts of problems.
- following these tips will help you keep your key fob in good working condition. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Why It’s Important To Keep Your Key Fob In Good Condition?
Your key fob is an important part of your car’s security system. If it stops working properly, it could leave your car vulnerable to theft or break-ins. It’s important to keep your key fob in good condition so that it can continue to protect your car.
Here are a few tips for doing so:
1. Keep it clean: Wipe down your key fob with a soft cloth regularly to remove any dirt or grime that could potentially interfere with its signal.
2. Avoid extreme temperatures: Don’t leave your key fob in direct sunlight or in a hot car, as the heat can damage the electronic components inside. Similarly, cold temperatures can also cause problems, so don’t keep it in your freezer or leave it outside in the cold for extended periods of time.
3. Keep it away from water: Water can damage the electronic components inside your key fob, so avoid getting it wet if possible. If it does get wet, dry it off as soon as possible with a soft cloth.
4. Don’t store it next to other electronics: Mobile phones, laptops, and other electronic devices can interfere with your key fob’s signal. So, it’s best to keep them stored separately.
5. Keep an eye on the battery: Most key fobs use CR2032 batteries, which are readily available at most stores. If your key fob starts to behave erratically or the button presses stop working, it’s likely time to replace the battery.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your key fob stays in good condition and continues to protect your car effectively.
How Long Is Fob Battery Replacement Process?
Fob batteries generally last between one and three years. If your fob starts to feel sluggish or you notice the battery icon on the display is no longer solid, it’s time to replace the battery. The process is simple and only takes a few minutes. First, locate the small Phillips head screw on the back of the fob. Using a small screwdriver, remove the screw and pull the back cover off. Next, use a coin or flathead screwdriver to pry out the old battery. Be careful not to damage the electronics around the battery compartment. Finally, insert the new battery with the positive side facing up and replaced the back cover. Once you’ve tightened the screw, your fob should be as good as new!
It is not difficult to change the battery in your key fob, and it is certainly not a task that should be left to a professional. With a little patience and the right tools, you can easily do it yourself. Just make sure that you have the correct replacement battery, and follow the steps outlined above. In no time at all, you will have your key fob working like new again.
If you have a key fob that needs a new battery, our team at Imperial Locksmith Germantown MD can help
We offer quick and easy battery changes for key fobs. Our technicians are experienced in changing all types of batteries, so you can be sure your key fob will work like new again.
Don’t spend another day struggling to open your car with a dead key fob battery. Let us take care of it for you – quickly and easily – and get you back on the road in no time.